The Holy Spirit – Hearing The Voice Of God
Jesus puts it in plain terms, if you belong to Him, you can hear Him. If you believe the Bible then God speaks to you.
This is a skill that you need to develop over time with practice. The fundamental truth is God loves you, He longs to reach out and talk to you. Even before you received the Holy Spirit, it’s likely that God would have tried talking to you. Most of the time people can’t differentiate or reject it out right, when God speaks. People often think it’s their own mind or they think thoughts like it’s impossible for someone as great as the God of the universe to be interested in talking to them.
God thinks you are important enough to talk to you, He loves you enough to care about the tiny details of your life. The problem most of the time is that we are too busy and have no time for God. Many times even when we hear God, we use logic and reason Him out saying this is not possible.
At times, your sins and your guilt make you feel dirty and unclean, you feel like you are undeserving of this privilege. Keep in mind, God is willing to forgive you and clean you up. Jesus came to earth and died on the cross for you just so that your sins can be forgiven and you can have a relationship with God.
Many people do what they want to do, even when they know it is wrong and only when they run into trouble do they think of God. They look at God as a troubleshooter and not a guide. Others ask God for advice but they end up doing what they wanted to anyway.
“You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:13 (NIV)
God looks at your heart, if you sincerely long for Him and want to hear Him, he will most certainly answer. Remember for every one step you take towards God, He takes five steps to get closer to you. Throughout the Bible, God has spoken to numerous people in different ways and even today God speaks to millions of people and guides them. God is the same then, now and forever and He is willing to speak to you. Are you willing to listen?
The focus of you spiritual life should be to answer yes to both these questions:
- Am I looking forward to hearing God with all my heart?
- Am I willing to obey Him when He speaks to me and guides me?
- God speaks personally to all His children, it is up to you to put in efforts to discern His voice.
- Don’t look around you into the world for answers, most of the time God speaks to you from within in a still small voice.
3 Ways the Holy Spirit Speaks:
- GOD’S WORD: “I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.” Psalm 119:11 (NIV)
- THROUGH GODLY MEN AND WOMEN: “The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen to advice.” Proverbs 12:15 (NIV)
- THROUGH THE STILL, SMALL VOICE: “The Lord said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.”
“Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.” I Kings 19:11-12 (NIV)
In † Christian Love, Susan Osten
Source: Blue Flame