INTRODUCTION: A year or so, after I became a Christian, I was sitting in the congregation of my church, listening to a guest speaker. When he finished speaking, he asked me to stand up and one of the things he said to me was, “God was going to lead and guide me in the most unusual ways.”
The Bible says,
“…Have faith in the LORD your God and you will be upheld; have faith in his prophets and you will be successful.” 2 Chronicles 20:20 (NIV)
Jehoshaphat spoke these words to Juda and to the people of Jerusalem. I kept this scripture close to my heart.
My prayer for you is that as you read this blog, you will be strengthened, spiritually, the Holy Spirit will increase your faith, and give you a deeper desire to pray and ask Him to show you the gift, He has bestowed upon you.
The Gifts of the Holy Spirit
“To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.” 1 Corinthians 12:8-10 (NIV)
The Gift of Knowledge
A word of knowledge is a definite conviction, impression, or knowing that comes to you in a similitude (a mental picture), a dream, through a vision, or by a Scripture that is quickened to you. It is supernatural insight or understanding of circumstances, situations, problems, or a body of facts by revelation; that is, without assistance by any human resource but solely by divine aid.
Following are 3 examples of a Word of Knowledge the Holy Spirit imparted to me when I was praying for my next door neighbor, a lady I met in a laundromat and a lady I prayed for at church.
1) One morning, my neighbor came over to have a cup of coffee with me. She had some needs, so I asked her if I could pray for her. She said, “Yes” so I took her hands in mine and I began to pray for her. As I prayed, I saw a picture of an “Umbilical Cord”. I stopped praying, and told her what I had seen. She was flabbergasted. She told me she was pregnant, but she had not told a soul. It’s apparent that the Word of Knowledge increased both my faith and my neighbor’s faith that day.
2) I met a lady in a laundromat. She was having some problems, so I asked her if I could pray for her. She said, “yes”. Laying my hands upon her, I began to pray for her. As I was praying, I saw a dog hanging from a tree. I stopped praying and told her what I saw. She replied, “Someone had hung her dog from a tree.” I’m sure it was comforting to her to know that God saw what happened and at the same time, it was a healing experience for her.
3) I was praying for a lady at church, and the Holy Spirit showed me a beautiful, jeweled broach. I stopped praying and I told her, “Something very precious was taken from her.” She replied, “I was molested.”
The Gift of Healing
My sister’s mother-in-law was in the hospital, in a coma. They did not think she was going to wake up. I went to the hospital to visit her. I decided to pray for her, so I layed my hand on her forehead and prayed – she awoke.
1) I was praying the Sinner’s Prayer” with who is now my ex-husband, and someone started yelling, “I am the devil” over and over, until it interrupted our prayer. There was no way anyone could have seen us praying because all our windows had closed curtains.
2) I was alone, and working on my phone in my recliner, and I noticed the volume was getting louder on the TV. I looked up, and I watched the volume bar on my TV move to the right until it reached its loudest position. I quickly, jumped up and turned off the TV.
3) I was working on my Computer editing a profile picture for one of my Scleroderma Facebook Pages. When I noticed the lady in the profile picture was shooting the finger at me. I was shocked, it caught me off guard, I didn’t think of taking a photo. What did I do? I got up from my computer and walked around, while doing a mental self-check.
When I walked back over to my computer, she was still shooting the finger at me. I stopped what I was doing and closed that project.
4) I was working on my phone, and I noticed Alexa had turned yellow and was swirling. Now, I know when she does that she’s updating. Even so, I said, “Alexa what are you up to?” I knew she couldn’t talk right there and then, so I looked over at my husband’s tablet a few feet away from me. I don’t know how I knew to do that. Written on his tablet was the words, “I don’t have a body, what are you watching?” My husband was sitting right next to his tablet, so I asked him to look to see if he saw the same thing I did, and he said, “yes”.
5) Facebook and Gmail
FACEBOOK: It was a Saturday, and I felt that I needed to delete all of my posts on Facebook. The posts went back almost nine years, and I wanted a new beginning. As I began deleting the posts, I found that a lot of them were scrambled and had advertisements attached to them – they were a mess. When I reached the very bottom of my Facebook page, I found another man’s name and birthdate, instead of mine. I couldn’t delete it or change the name, so occasionally, I checked on it until the name and birthdate changed to my birthdate. The task was very time consuming, but I was relieved when it was done. I still have a few old posts that pop up every now and then, at the end of my page, but I’m not worried about them. I’ll get to them when I can. It was a little disconcerting, when I saw that man’s name and birth date at the end of my Facebook page. I can’t remember his name or birthdate, go figure. I’ve been told numerous times to keep a journal: I do now. I didn’t think about asking Facebook about it. I just kept my mouth shut and watched.
GMAIL: My next project, required me to use my Gmail account. When I went to log into my Gmail account, the Holy Spirit said, “Open your Gmail account, differently.” The only thing I could think to do was to go out to Gmail’s “Official Website” and click on Gmail. I did so, and without it even asking me for my email address or password, it opened an account that belonged to me, under the name of Susan Barrington, which I thought was deactivated a long time ago. I had no idea this account still existed. It was dark inside this Gmail account, but I could still see my way around. The best way I can think of to describe what I was seeing to you is it was like looking into a darkened box 11″ x 4″. I saw one wire hanging down inside. I decided to look around, and I found my husband’s Gmail account was linked to it, so I deleted his account. I found nothing else of importance and was about to exit, when suddenly, something that looked like an index card which was about 4″ x 4″ popped up out of nowhere. It had the “Petition to Congress” logo on it, along with a photo of me. I’ve used the “Petition to Congress” for Scleroderma, so I was very familiar with the logo. After seeing that, I quickly, deactivated the Gmail account, and emailed Google, asking them to be sure that the account was closed for good.
6) In the afternoon on Monday, September 7th, I was getting dressed in the bathroom. All of a sudden, I heard knocks, I tried to locate what part of the bathroom they were coming from, but the knocks kept jumping around from panel to panel in the bathroom – we have 7 panels and/or walls in our bathroom. I stepped outside the bathroom to see if I could still hear the knocks. Yes, I heard the knocks, but they were coming from the bathroom. The knocks stopped after about 2 minutes. Coincidentally, I had just recently, finished my blog entitled: Spiritual Warfare with Demonic Spirits.
My Dream, My Vision, Extreme Silence, & My Mom’s Death
“In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy.” Acts 2:17-18 (NIV)
My Vision: 1989 San Francisco-Oakland Earth Quake
In 1977, shortly, after I became a Christian, I had a vision while I was driving. In front of me, freeways where collapsing before my eyes. I was scared to death. I started ducking because the freeways appeared to be getting closer and closer to me. I didn’t have a wreck and I can’t remember how I got home that day. It was an unforgettable event. I have never had another tragic vision, with my eyes wide open.
In 1989, I was watching the World Series. When I heard about the earth quake on TV and saw the freeways had collapsed in San Francisco, I immediately, remembered the vision that I had 12 years earlier.
My Dream: The Death of Diana, Princess of Wales
The night of August 30 1997, I had a dream. I was flying across the ocean at a tremendous amount speed, very close to the water. When I looked ahead of me, I saw the flashing lights of emergency vehicles everywhere.
- In the early hours of 31 August 1997, Diana, Princess of Wales died in hospital after being injured in a car crash in a road tunnel in Paris, France;
- Diana was 36 years old. Her death caused a substantial outpouring of worldwide grief, and her funeral was watched by an estimated 2.5 billion people
Extreme Silence: Sumatra, Indonesia 2004 Tsunami
It was around 8:30 p.m., Christmas Eve in 2004 – I was walking my dogs. No sooner than I put my foot on the sidewalk to begin my walk, I sensed a strange silence, it was an extreme silence. I pondered it and wondered what is going on, it’s Christmas Eve!
When the tsunami hit Sumatra, Indonesia on December 26th, I knew then, why I had sensed that silence.
- Tsunamis killed an estimated 227,898 people in 14 countries;
- Waves 100 ft high;
- The earthquake was one of the deadliest natural disasters in recorded history;
- It caused the planet to vibrate as much as 10 millimeters (0.4 inches), and it remotely triggered earthquakes as far away as Alaska;
- The plight of the affected people and countries prompted a worldwide humanitarian response, with donations totaling more than US $14 billion.
My Mom’s Death
My mom died on April 11, 2011 at around 11:00 a.m. About 10 minutes before she passed away, my sister-in-law was folding towels in the living room, my dad was beside my mother and I was leaning up against the wall in mom’s bedroom. I called to my sister-in-law and said, “Mom is about to pass.” My sister-in-law stopped what she was doing and walked into my mom’s bedroom. She kneeled down beside my mom’s bed, and took hold of my mom’s hand and bowed her head. About a minute and a half later, she went to heaven. I remember the day she called me and said, “I have asked Jesus to come into my heart.” I could sense it in her voice – she was so calm and at peace. Thank you, Jesus!
“Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.” I Peter 4:10 (NIV)
Believers do no control when, where, or how the Gifts of the Spirit will operate. It is totally up to the Holy Spirit. He is in control, but we must make ourselves available to Him by listening for His direction and then stepping out in faith and obeying Him.
The gifts of the Spirit are simply God empowering faithful Christians to do what He has called us to do.
“His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.” 2 Peter 1:3 (NIV)
The gifts of the Holy Spirit are part of “everything we need” to accomplish His plans for our lives.
In ✝️Christian Love, Susan Osten